Several partners in the roadway construction industry have teamed up to create a contest aimed at raising the awareness of distracted driving among teenage drivers in Iowa. To start their campaign, the group is holding a video production competition with $2,000 in total prize money to be awarded to the top five public service announcement (PSA) videos submitted by teens.
The intent of this contest is to get high school students thinking about the dangers of distractions while driving and to promote greater awareness of the resulting facts and statistics. Creating a short (approximately 30 second) video that can be shared on social media channels is an excellent opportunity for creative teens. This project can be accomplished as a class project, with friends or individually.
Distracted driving is any activity that takes the driver's attention away from the primary task at hand while driving a vehicle.
In recent research conducted at the University of Iowa, among teens in moderate to severe rear-end crashes, more than 75% of drivers were observed engaging in a potentially distracting behavior. The most frequently seen driver behaviors were cell phone use, looking for a location outside the vehicle, and attending to passengers. Drivers using a cell phone had a significantly longer response time than drivers not engaged in any behaviors, while those attending to passengers did not. Additionally, in about 50% of the rear-end crashes where the driver was operating/looking at a phone (e.g., texting), the driver showed no driver response (i.e., braking or steering input) before impact, compared to 10% of crashes where the driver was attending to a passenger.
To enter the contest, you must agree to these Official Rules. Therefore, please read the following rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the contest constitutes agreement to these rules. You may not submit an entry to the contest and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in the official rules, unless you agree to the official rules. These official rules form a binding legal agreement between you and the contest sponsors with respect to the contest.
Entries can be submitted from Sept. 18, 2017, to 11:59 pm March 18, 2018.
Who Can Enter
1. To be eligible to participate in this contest, entrants must be enrolled in an Iowa High School, grades 9 through 12, or equivalent course of study as listed in Iowa Code Section 299A. An entry could be from a single participant or a team with no maximum number of team members. Since the contest winner(s) will be under age 21, contest prize will be awarded to custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s) pursuant to Iowa Code 565B, Iowa Uniform Transfers to Minors Act.
2. Employees of any of the named sponsors listed on the contest web site, their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies and their immediate family members are ineligible. The term "immediate family member" includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, and grandchildren.
How to Enter
1. No purchase or payment necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment will not improve your chances of winning. All federal, state, local, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.
2. Qualified entrants shall submit a video of approximately 30 seconds in length by the contest closing date and time. Videos must be uploaded https://www.youtube.com. The video may be marked as public, unlisted or private, but the link will need to allow judges to view the video. The link will be shared with members of sponsoring entities.
3. All entries must be accompanied by a completed entry form. Each entrant agrees not to submit any entry that infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations, or otherwise violates applicable U.S. law.
4. To enter the contest, make a video, upload it to YouTube and then complete and sumbit the entry from at http://www.ditchthedistraction.com.
5. The contest sponsors are not responsible for lost, late or misdirected email; video format errors; server unavailability; or computer or any other electronic or telecommunications malfunction.
6. All entries received that show or display actual illegal, inappropriate or unsafe acts will not be accepted.
Any false information provided within the context of the contest by any participant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Official Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the participant from the contest. The contest sponsors further reserve the right to disqualify any entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Official Rules, or violates U.S. or applicable state or local law.
1. Finalists will be selected by a panel of judges between in April 2018. All finalists' entries will be published on the contest Web page by May 1, 2018. All decisions of the judges are final and binding.
2. The winner will be the person(s) whose public service announcement receives the greatest number of valid votes from the judges and who satisfies all of the Official Rules.
3. Judges will rate each video based on the following criteria:
- Ease of understanding the message
- Production quality
- Emotional impact
- Connection to targeted audience of 14-25 year olds, male and female
1. Cash prizes - maximum of one entry per individual/team video public service announcement
- Wining video: $1,000 will be given to the individual/team with the most votes
- Runner-up: $500
- Third place: $300
- Honorable Mention (2): Each at $100
2. All cash winners are required to verify identity with proper and legal picture identification within 30 days of notification of winning the cash prize. Winner may forfeit any and all cash winnings if verification cannot or has not been made within 30 days. Upon proper verification, cash winnings will be awarded by check and mailed to winner's mailing address within seven business days.
3. Income and other taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
4. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received and votes received.
1. Winners will be notified by email. Winners must show picture identification to claim the prize. The contest sponsors reserve the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
2. By participating in the contest, each participant and winner waives any and all claims of liability against the contest sponsors, and their employees and agents, their respective employees and agents, for any personal injury or loss that may occur from the conduct of, or participation in, the contest, or from the use of any prize.
3. By claiming the prize, the winner authorizes the use, without additional compensation, of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including, without limitation, radio broadcasts; newspapers and other publications; television or film releases; slides; videotape; distribution over the Internet; and picture date storage) the contest sponsors may deem appropriate.
4. For a list of prize winners, check this website after May 1, 2018.
1. The conduct of the contest is governed by the applicable laws of the Unites States of America and State of Iowa, which take precedence over any rule to the contrary herein. The contest sponsors shall follow the applicable laws for conducting contests, including notice to the state attorney general or consumer affairs office, posting of a prize bond, furnishing lists of winners, running specific on-air disclaimers, providing specific written information about the contest, etc., as required by local and state law.
2. The contest sponsors are not liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information.
3. By participating in the contest, participants agree to be bound by the decisions of contest sponsor personnel. The contest sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any participant or winner and may refuse to award any prize to a person who is ineligible or has violated any rule, gained unfair advantage in participating in the contest, or obtained winner status using fraudulent means. The contest sponsors will interpret these rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the rules or the contest and contest sponsor decisions concerning such disputes shall be final. If the conduct or outcome of the contest is affected by human error, any mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of the contest sponsors, the contest sponsors reserve the right to terminate this contest, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as the contest sponsors deem appropriate. All decisions will be made by the contest sponsors and are final. The contest sponsors may waive any of these rules in their sole discretion.
4. The contest sponsors reserve the right to withdraw or terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.
5. Safety during the project is of highest priority. The contest sponsors take no responsibility and assume no liability for any omissions, acts or damages that may result from the preparing of materials to submit to this contest. The contest sponsors stress that teen producers safely conduct their projects and avoid potentially dangerous production situations that put crew, actors or the public at risk. To assure the safety of the participants, adult supervision is strongly encouraged.
Intellectual Property Rights
1. By submitting a video entry, entrants thereby grant contest sponsors and their affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted work or other information in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the world and for any purpose. In addition to other things, the rights granted to the contest sponsors includes, but is not limited to, the right to resize, crop, censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and to otherwise alter or make use of the submitted work.
2. By submitting an entry, entrants thereby represent and warrant that the submitted work or information does not and shall not infringe on any copyright, any rights of privacy or publicity of any person, or any other right of any third party, and the entrants the right to grant any and all rights and licenses granted to the contest sponsors herein, including but not limited to, all necessary rights under copyright, free and clear of any claims or encumbrances.
3. Entrants acknowledge and agree that the contest sponsors shall have no obligation to post, display or otherwise make publicly available any work submitted by the entrant, and may, in their sole and unfettered discretion, remove, edit, modify or delete any work that the entrant submits.
Waiver of Liability and Agreement to Indemnify
By submitting a video entry, each entrant, its, his, her or their heirs, successors and assigns ("entrant") thereby releases, forever discharges and covenants not to make a claim against or sue the Ditch the Distraction Public Service Announcement Contest, its sponsors (including but not limited to the State of Iowa and the Iowa Department of Transportation) and their parents, subsidiaries and affiliates, licensees, employees, officers, directors, representatives, successors and assigns ("the PSA contest"), of and from all manner of action or actions, cause or causes of action, at law or in equity, suits, claims, demands, liability, loss, cost or expense, of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown, fixed or contingent, which entrant may have or hereafter have against the PSA Contest by reason of any injuries or damages entrant may sustain, whether to entrant's person, property, reputation, or otherwise, as a result of, incident to, or related in any way to the entry, the contest, or the use, incorporation or exploitation of the entry for any purpose described herein. Entrant waives and forego the right to seek injunctive relief against anyone relating in any way to the entry, the contest, or the use, incorporation, or exploitation of the materials for any purpose described herein. Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the PSA contest from and against any liabilities, losses, claims, demands, costs (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys' fees) and expenses arising in connection with any breach or alleged breach by means of any representation made in the entry or by virtue of submitting the entry.